Monday, May 16, 2011

Easy As Pie!

 I’m the type of person that loves to do different projects around the house. With this amazing love for “remodeling” if you will, comes great impatience from my part. And if you know anything about remodeling, you know that patience is crucial if you want to get a clean and beautiful result. I love the idea of remodeling and love the idea that it will look really pretty in the end. However, most often than not, I don’t not love having to do things carefully nor do I posses the measure twice cut once discipline. Lucky me (depending on the day) I found me a husband that is completely the opposite of me. Yesterday, Doug gave me the most amazing Sunday present, he decided to get to one of his very pressing ‘honey do list’ items crossed off the list! Oh how excited was I to finally get the floor done in the guest bathroom (because I would probably die without it right?! Gosh sometimes when I really think of what I worry about I want to punch myself in the lady bits, there are people out there with no food and I’m crying over a bathroom floor…. REALLY! Well yes, unfortunately this is my reality, I hope someday I can be an amazing human being that doesn’t worry about trivial things and can cure world hunger, until then, back to my dilemma.) So of course I had to help my man out, so I asked what my duties entailed and he said I had to clean the nasty wax toilet ring AND de-caulk the bath tub. What the what! I don’t want a nasty job, or a job that takes too long! But since I was so happy that this project was finally underway, I zipped the lip and started cleaning.  I knew that if I did a half ass job, he was just going to make me do it again so I was trying so hard to do it as he would. So many times I found myself wishing I had magical powers so that I could just wave a wand and poof it would all be done-zo! Then I would revert to anger in my head and think gosh why am I having to do all this prep work! It’s his list! Then I would go back to being grateful and happy, then cycling back to wishing for magic. This went on and on until I was done. Doug was able to follow suit with his part of the job and then voila, we were done! When I saw the finished product I could not believe my eyes, it looked GREAT!  I was so happy that I have a husband who cares about the small details and when he decides to do a job he doesn’t take shortcuts.
I look at Doug and admire his patience and diligence for details (although he’s not a saint either everyone, he can be impatient with other things, ha!).  But seriously, I wish there was a vitamin to help with this impatience of mine. But is it just me? As I was driving the other day, I saw a bill board with an advertisement for green beans. It said, “Just four minutes.. Because life should be that easy!” I started thinking about our society and how everything that we stand for right now is all about the “quick and easy”. You want to lose weight?  Here, take some pills that God knows what’s in them but you’ll lose 30Lbs. in 10 minutes. Or wait, here’s a drive thru so that you don’t even have to get out of your car and walk 10 steps to get your coffee. Hold on there’s more, why don’t buy this packet that tells you how to get rich NOW? We get so mad if we have to wait more than two minutes at a light. What is happening to us? Really?  In a place where there’s a surplus of blessing we are all still worried about why our overnight cleaner can’t just wash our clothes for us really quick while we wait for two minutes. I see it every day, today at the grocery store, a lady  with a bazzillion things in her basket would NOT let a gentleman who asked her very politely if he could go in front of her in line since he was only buying two items… she said NO! I could not believe it. I don’t want to sound like a hypocrite because there are many things that I enjoy the comfort and ease of. But when all I want is for my life to take no effort that’s when I should question why I’m thinking this way.  To think that I don’t really need to work hard at anything and patiently wait to see some amazing results is a misconstrued notion that is only fueled by the world around me. I am the worst person at this when it comes to exercise and healthy eating, if I don’t see immediate results I think it’s not working. WHY? I don’t know, I really don’t but raising the question makes me feel I’m on the right track to rectify my behavior. I know that life shouldn’t always be easy. If it were than it wouldn’t be exciting. It would become predictable and boring and who wants that? All I’m trying to say today is maybe being patient is something that I can work on day to day. Find the good in taking those extra steps to making my life more beautiful. Not relying so much on what’s quick. Because in the end when I’ve had two stories to tell, one where I had a hard time and I sweat blood and tears, and another that was just easy-peasy, which one do you think I was most proud to tell my friends?  So thanks for reading, gotta go watch a movie on my instant queue!
Stay blessed, Stay saucy. If you enjoyed reading this, please pass it on to a few of your peeps!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment